Help! I Was Arrested While Vacationing in Florida

Millions of tourists flock to Florida throughout the year for its enjoyable warm weather and unique range of fun in the sun. Whether you’re here for spring break, a girls trip, or just to do a little relaxing, too much fun in a state you’re not familiar with can be a recipe for disaster when you land on the wrong side of the law. If you’ve been charged with a DUI, liquor law violation, trespassing, shoplifting, or any other criminal charge while on vacation, here at Michael B. Cohen Law we want to offer the best legal services to resolve your matter.

How do I handle an out of state arrest?

So you’ve been arrested while on vacation in Florida, what do you do next? It’s imperative that you take the situation seriously and remain proactive as possible. The state where the alleged crime took place will have jurisdiction to prosecute. So just because you live in another state does not mean it won’t affect you. In fact, ignoring these charges can result in a warrant for your arrest for the state you live in. Also, note you can be prosecuted for doing something in Florida that isn’t necessarily illegal in your home state. The first step you should take is to hire a local lawyer for the state you were arrested in so they can best handle your legal circumstance.

How often will I have to appear in court?

Here at Michael B. Cohen Law, we understand how inconvenient handling a trial in another state can be and want to minimize any expenses and time you may encounter. The amount of times you have to appear in court will ultimately depend on the charges against you. Below are some scenarios:

Violation/ Infraction: examples like littering, noise complaints, and even a speeding ticket can be typically paid over mail. If you’re pursuing to dispute, a local attorney can help handle the violation
Misdemeanor: with an experienced attorney, you may be able to have your lawyer appear in court on your behalf while you’re free to return to your home state.

Felony: if you’re allowed to post bail you can return to your home state but you will be required to return to Florida once your trial begins. Note, bail money can be returned if you comply so it’s important you have an experienced attorney to guide you through understanding Florida law.

If you have been charged with a crime in Florida while visiting, you should hire a local and experienced attorney as soon as possible. Contact the law office of Michael B. Cohen at 954.928.0059 for a free consultation today.

Contact Information